3.7 moving to beta tomorrowish

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Wed Mar 31 00:26:57 UTC 2004

Yoshiki,

===============================
Ah, this is... I don't know what to say...
===============================

You said it well.

===============================
Second, let's clarify that the external representation and the internal representation are different beast. My stuff mainly uses the UTF-8 for the external representation. As long as your code is mainly
written in pure ASCII plus a few other characters such as up arrow and left arrow, the difference in size is just ignorable.
===============================

It seems wise to sit back and let you solve the back arrow problem.

===============================
For the internal representation, my stuff use 8-bit per character representation for a String that solely contains latin1 characters.  For those Strings that contains non-latin1 chars, it actually uses 32-bit representation. It is similar to the SmallInteger and
LargeInteger implicit conversion and the user shouldn't have to care about the difference. The typical memory footprint surely will go up a bit, but as you can imagine, not much.
===============================

That sounds great.  Thanks for the explanation.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology