Squeak3.7a-nnnn image on unix?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 31 18:03:16 UTC 2004

Michael Roberts <mike at mjr104.co.uk> wrote:

> yes, a script would be great.  It is something I have thought about in the past.  We would need a shell script to download all the right bits first.  You would then need a smalltalk script to drive VMMaker externally.  As you can see it is quite involved and there are various morphic prompts that would get in the way of driving this without a UI.  I'm not sure what people think about this?  I think both VMMaker and SM have well developed models so I imagine this can be driven without morphic popping anything up?  or maybe with some work?
VMMaker is completely scriptable. Always has been, always will be. The
morphic part is VMMakerTool and it isn't needed at all if you want to
play with 'cmdline hacking'.

It's even explained in the class comments, the VMMakerTool help window
and the swiki. VMMaker was originally written for exobox to allow daily
automated VM builds, so assuming we still have a working cmdline script
capability it should still work.

It should also work to cross-build, though I've never made any serious
attempt at it because of the lineend issues. At least within unix
versions it should be trivial. If you've got a working *nix system
there should be no problem at all with building the src tree on one and
moving it across to another.

On the issue of actually compiling on *nix, last thing I recall was
that one had to have a particular version of autoconf (?) for the
build to work. Since my linux machine is buried in a storage locker now
I can't check on that.

tim
Useful random insult:- Mind like a steel sieve.