SLOC in Squeak History

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue May 11 02:13:01 UTC 2004

michael.cole at nimiq.net wrote:

> So, I want to write a method that will count the SLOC in each version of
> squeak. My question is what object am I seeking to enumerate? It doesn't
> seem to be Message.

Ooh, you're running on squidgy ground here.
Firstly, as you said yourself apples and oranges; a line of code in one language
is not the same as in another.
Secondly, what are you going to count as a LOC? What about cascades -
one LOC count per clause or one for the whole? And composite lines (ie
3 + 4 * 5 / 6 squared )? I wouldn't like to suggest what the 'proper'
answer is, since I'm almost out of asbestos underwear.
Thirdly, what are you going to count as countable? Stuff in the default
image, stuff in the Full image, the sum total of what's on SqueakMap?

Wow. I wish you luck in your quest, Pilgrim, but don't expect me to be
able to help when you meet the Balrog.

tim
To succeed in politics, it is often necessary to rise above your principles.