VM crash at startup - startup activeProcess corrupt?

Ben Schroeder bschroeder at procro.com
Tue May 11 18:42:26 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to do a little forensic work on a crashed Squeak image that a co-worker of mine has.  It gives a low-level Windows error at startup - one of the ones that these days offers to send a bug report to Microsoft.  When I run the image on my Mac, it says that there is a protection fault - it looks like Squeak was trying to access memory at address "0".

I've done a little digging around, and it looks like everything is OK until the VM tries to restore the active process.  It finds the ProcessorScheduler, but the scheduler's activeProcess field points out into the middle of a large block of zeroes near the end of the object memory.

Has anybody seen anything like this?  Any tips on what might cause it?

Thanks,
Ben Schroeder