[BUG]TestRunner problem; RunArrayTest

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed May 12 22:36:06 UTC 2004

Strange problem(s) in TestRunner in a 5878+ image.

After making some VM changes (I can open files multiple times - yahoo!)
I ran the testrunner to give it a workout. Everything seemed to be okay
up to RunArrayTest>testScanFromANSICompatability, whereit stopped. Not
locked up, just stopped the test runner. It _claims_ to be still
running and pressing the Stop button indeed behaves like it is stopping
a running prog.  However, one can move the cursor around, scrollbars
work and other tools can be opened. Very odd. Inspecting the model via
the Halo debug menu shows that 'running' is a Process still in
progress. Hmm, spawning Processes all over the place I see...

Now looking at the code in this test, I can see why it ought to break
(though I hav no clue why it is not locked up) - a non-completable loop
is in progress in the second line of
RunArratTest>testScanFromANSICompatability; RunArray
scanFrom:(ReadStream on: '()a1death') cannot possibly complete since
the scanner method is looking for a $; and there isn't one.  Either the
test is wrong, or the code is - and I would imagine that having a
boundary condition that prevents ever completing a loop counts as a bug
in most people's minds.

I tried this out on my (spit) widows machine to make sure it isn't my
new vm at fault. Same problem precisely.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Totum dependeat. = Let it all hang out.