SqueakMap - analysis tools?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri May 14 11:16:16 UTC 2004

Hi!

"Bill Schwab" <bills at an4.anest.ufl.edu> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> SqueakMap seems to be taking off nicely, and it is a nice way to grab goodies.  However, I still come back to the problem of starting from scratch.  Dolphin's commercial origins force the issue with each release, but it's also a nice sanity check on whether or not I know what is in my image.  Are there any good tools for deciding what to load into a new image?  I encourage and Dolphin-using Squeakers to take a look at Migrate from my Dolphin Goodies - especially the version packaged for D5.  I would really like to see something like it for Squeak.

Hmmm, I am not sure what you mean here. What we do need to "shape up" is
dependency handling in SM - and I have begun a bit on it according to
plan. Could you briefly explain what Migrate does?

> The other issue, mentioned before, is that SM seems to favor downloading over locally cached copies.  Ideally, it should offer to download updates, but be willing to load packages from the local drive.  Has that been addressed?

Eh, I thought it had. :) Could you explain more closely what you are
observing? I thought the current SM uses the cached file if available.

Sidenote: I posted some code showing how to preload the cache recently,
may 11th subject "SLOC in Squeak History". Note that for people making
Squeak CDs etc, this is a way to populate the SM cache with the current
latest releases.

regards, Göran