On maintaining a consistent update stream

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Fri May 14 23:59:25 UTC 2004

On May 14, 2004, at 6:10 PM, Doug Way wrote:

> I was somewhat hesitant to allow updates which directly load packages
> from SqueakMap.  This was discussed a few months ago, though, and
> there wasn't any significant opposition to the idea.  See:

I know this idea is pretty radical, but I figure I'll throw it out
there anyway. Maybe it will grow on people.

Why not just keep packages out of the update stream entirely? That
would make the update stream only responsible for managing the Minimal
image, and avoid all these issues, entirely.

We could put a "Basic Image Assember" on SqueakMap, just as we do for
the Full Image. This wouldn't be anymore difficult for users than what
we have today. Instead of sending an posting "41 new updates" to the
list, you'd post "3 updates to the basic packages". Then we'd all open
up the package loader and click on "update all packages"

Yeah, there are probably a few little kinks and gotcha's here and
there, but nothing we can't solve.

Colin