Squeak virtual desktop

Vadim Kolontsov vk at tvcom.ru
Tue May 18 17:03:28 UTC 2004

Good evening, Squeak Developers!

  I'm new here - so sorry if something is wrong :)

  I'm trying to solve my problem of screen space shortage, so I've wrote
a simple hack to add simple virtual desktop mechanism. It allows you to
have up to 9 virtual screens, you're able to switch between them using
Alt+N (where N is number of the page).

  You can find a changeset at
http://vk.infolio.ru/squeak/pager/index-eng.html.
  Just tested it on fresh 3.7b image, seems to work fine.

  I've implemented multiple screens using morph's hide/show. Is there
any better way to do it? For example, creating World morph of very big
size and using Morph>>position to switch between screens... Or using
multiple worlds..

  What is the best way to add 'system-wide hotkey'? I was thinking about
using the World morph, but it seems that if some submorph is active, you
wouldn't get the keystroke reliable. So I've patched KeyboardEvent, and
now it works everywhere. Can't say I like this approach..

Thanks for a great product.
Best regards,
Vadim.