[bug] stack overflow crashes Squeak. ( Revive - relates to more recent problems )

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun May 16 23:43:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 10:43:08AM -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:36:16PM -0600, tim at sumeru.stanford.edu wrote:
>
> > One other observation: The problem does not occur in MVC. The combination
> > of Morphic and a Unix/Linux VM is apparently needed to make the problem
> > occur.
> Just tried again for 3.7, 3.6, 3.5 and 3.2 in both morphic and mvc and
> none of them behave 'properly'. 3.6 & 3.5 morphic shewed notifiers but
> still crashed. None of the others even shewed a notifier.

Interesting. I just tried it again, running on Linux using image version
'Squeak3.7beta of ''1 April 2004'' [latest update: #5868]'. I consistently
get the out-of-memory crash in Morphic, but things work correctly in MVC.
Well, not quite correctly, there is a horrible bug when traversing from
the MVC project back to a Morphic project in which I get a red screen of
death on some tabs in the Morphic project - but that would be the topic
of a separate thread, and it appears unrelated to the low memory notifier
issue.

Overall, we are seeing inconsistent behavior that is possibly dependent
on timing and phase of the moon. This one might be tricky to debug.

Dave