winCVS help needed

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Wed May 19 02:15:32 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 11:18:00AM -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
>
> > It has a settings pane that determines how you will access the
> > server.  If you haven't set that properly, it's sure not to work.
> >
> > Also, I think winCVS has been through some big version changes in the
> > last few years; you might check if you're current.
> I grabbed the recommend version yesterday so I hope that's the best
> one. I've tried doing the settings and at one point managed to checkout
> the platforms tree via (I think, hard to be sure given how much
> confusion reigned) the pserver interface. But that doesn't allow me to
> check anything in! So I tried to work out how to connect via the ssh
> related interface the SF seems to want. No luck at all.
>
> At one point it looked to me that it was ignoring my changes to the
> settings in favour of obeying the various 'Root' files that listed
> ':pserver:rowledge at .....' so I went to the extreme of deleting the lot
> and trying to start again.
>
> So the real question I suppose (apart from 'why do I put up with this
> junk') is how to set up winCVS to let me connect as a developer to our
> archive at sourceforge. Or alternatively, what other application might
> be better? If it's really not possible with winCVS or some othe gui
> app, I could just barely tolerate a command line but honestly, can't we
> do better?
>
> Hey, Goran, what happened to SqCVS?
>
> tim
Probably you need to first use ssh to forward one of your local ports
to sourceforge.  Then point winCVS at your local port that is
forwarded.

The problems making that work are not likely to be specific to WinCVS,
though perhaps the latter has some convenience way to set things up.

Several of the other posts lists some ssh clients for windows.

I think that once you have checked out from cvs it uses the info
stored in the files (that you deleted) rather than the global setting
to determine how to contact the archive.  So if you want to change how
you contact the archive, you could change all the files that have the
old method (ugh).  Blanket deleting the cvs/ files is bound to lead to
trouble.