Monticello Question

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Sat May 22 06:24:59 UTC 2004

Not really at the moment.  Mostly all that needs to be done is to write
a 4-way merge but it's a little more complex than that in terms of how
you store the history and what the merge semantics are after that.

Does version 5 still include 2 in its list of ancestors?  What if you
have version 3a as another child to 2 (so 3 and 3a are siblings) and
then merge 5 into that?  Do you then need to remove version 2 from the
history of the resulting merged version?  Probably the simplest is just
to have the 4-way merge not affect history at all (as CVS does) but this
causes many of the repeated merge problems that CVS suffers from.

Anyway, short answer is nobody's done it yet, long answer is that doing
it right is actually a little more complex than one might think.

Julian