[BUG] Pathological LargePositiveInteger instance discovered in the wild

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat May 22 16:02:58 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 08:34:31AM -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> > A certain non-normalized instance of PositiveLargeInteger in the image crashes
> > the VM with a segmentation fault.
> [snip]
> >   This will be a LargePositiveInteger. It was element 33 in the array in my test.
> >
> I'm pretty sure that this is the LPI in the specialObjectsArray. Never
> quite understood what it was there for.  Just blew away my image trying
> to find it...

Hmm, try inspecting "Integer new: 4 neg: false". This will allow you blow
your image away with considerably less effort. Integer>>new:neg: is used
only by private methods, but is not itself labeled as private.

Perhaps this is not a pathological instance after all, just one that is
not likely to be encountered in common usage. In any case, both the large
integer plugin and the Integer>>digitDev:neg: method have trouble digesting
this particular critter.

Dave