[bug] stack overflow crashes Squeak. (some additional debugging info)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat May 22 17:46:40 UTC 2004

I haven't quite gotten to the bottom of this, but here is what I've found
so far.

The problem is that the low space notification is executing in the context
of the event tickler process, while whatever method is running way with
the memory is running in another process and does not get suspended.
I can confirm this with OSProcess trace commands embedded in #lowSpaceWatcher,
and a hacked up version of #createStackOverflow that forces a halt before
the system hangs up.

Furthermore, if the event tickler process is terminated, low space
notification starts working as expected. So it must be some interaction
of these processes, and it does not happen unless the event tickler is
running.

What I can't figure out is how the low space signal is getting handled
in the context of the event tickler process, when the low space watcher
process is the one that is waiting on the semaphore. The low space signaling
in the VM interpreter seems simple and straightforword, so it has to be
something on the image side ... I just can't spot it.

Anybody have an idea?

I've attached a copy of the hacks I'm using to debug this in case anyone
wants to reproduce the problem without hanging their image.

Dave