ARM Linux version of squeak HELP.

Roderick Taylor r.taylor at student.qut.edu.au
Mon May 24 07:40:43 UTC 2004

Hi,

This question would mainly be directed at Ian Piumarta, Tim
Rowledge and anyone else involved in porting squeak.  I am
trying to compile a squeak vm for an Xscale (ARM) based single
board computer.

I modified tim's configure script so that it would configure
in cross compile mode.  I didn't change the Autoconf stuff, I
just removed the checking for primitive length, set long long
as the type for 64 bit and left DOUBLE_WORD_ALIGNMENT and
DOUBLE_WORD_ORDER cat ed to confdefs.h. (actually I've tested
each combination of DOUBLE_WORD_xxxx and all give the same
result)

I've removed FFI from the vm using VMMakerTool because it
seemed to be relying upon x86 assembly language.

I get a compiled vm and compiled vm-sound-null
vm-display-null.  But when I run squeak on the SBC i get an
invalid opcode error.  (sorry I couldn't attach the output
here, my computer situation is less than convenient for this
kind of task.)  I am using a majorShrunk 3.6 image cause only
it will fit on my SBC.

I came across a post to this mailing list made in 2000 that
outlines a couple of changes to sqGnu.h specifically.

#if defined(__arm__)
# define IP_REG asm("%0")
# define SP_REG asm("$1")
# define CB_REG asm("$2")

Would this fix my problem?  From the post, it seems that Tim
is using a different toolchain than what I am using.  I am
using a gcc 2.95-3 toolchain.  I might have to change these
defines to reflect a gnu assembler style (which I am not sure
about) and maybe change a few other things.

Can Tim or Ian or anybody give me some direction.  I am very
keen to get squeak working on our SBC, and a few people at my
university are interested in Squeak and ARM as a robotics
platform. I think it's a cool idea.

Rod.