3.7 Full: Developers or Media users?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue May 25 18:04:16 UTC 2004

Tim Rowledge wrote:

>"Frank Mueller" <frank at mweb.de> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm not a fan of the multimedia capabilities of squeak and I don't need
>>the toys, but I love it as a development platform for my web based
>>application. So I would prefer an image with all those goodies like
>>refactoring, unit testing, code completion, comanche, seaside etc but
>>without the toys.
>>

>Sounds to me like an SM package with prerequisites that include all
>those and that can be loaded onto a Basic image release. Probably of
>interest to a number of people, so well worth some work. Tag, you're
>'it' Frank!

Good point... actually it might make a lot of sense to have the
Multimedia-Full-Assembler package and Developer-Full-Assembler package
on SqueakMap, separately maintained.  To get the total Full image, you
install them both.  (Just need to have a maintainer for the
Developer-Full-Assembler package... glad to see you volunteer, Frank. ;-) )

My main point was that I don't think we need to have a bunch of
different prebuilt Full images up on squeak.org, a media-Full,
developer-Full, kitchensink-Full, etc.  At least, kitchensink-Full
should be the single default on the squeak.org download page.  I suppose
if Bruce O'Neel wants to put the other ones up on the ftp site, they
could be there too.

- Doug