3.7 Full: Developers or Media users?

Jason Dufair jase at dufair.org
Wed May 26 13:56:47 UTC 2004

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> writes:

> Correct - there is no canonical "Monticello server", and the
> Monticello package includes no server code.  SqueakSource is the most
> sophisticated server that Monticello can talk to right now, but a
> simple ftpd works fine too.

Even simpler, IMO, is httpd.  My apache2 install worked as a Monticello
repository right out of the box on my RedHat 7.2 server.  For
posterity's sake, here's all I had to add to my apache2 config:

Alias /monticello/ /var/monticello/
<Directory /var/monticello>
  DAV on
  Options indexes
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
  AllowOverride None

  # Limit write permission to list of valid users.
  <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
    AuthName "Authorization Realm"
    AuthUserFile /etc/monticello-auth
    AuthType Basic
    Require valid-user
  </LimitExcept>
</Directory>

This gives a world-readable, authorized-user-writable Monticello
repository in /var/monticello.  I created /etc/monticello-auth with
htpasswd and off I went.  I love Monticello and look forward to future
improvements.
Jason Dufair - jase at dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/
"My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people:
those who do the work and those who take the credit.
He told me to try to be in the first group;
there was much less competition."
-- Indira Gandhi