Macintosh VM plugin building

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Sun May 30 18:59:52 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm running into some trouble with building VMs on MacOS (v10.3.4,
XCode 1.1) I successfully followed the instructions in the sourceforge
platforms/ directory to build a vanilla VM, but ran into difficulties
building both internal and external plugins.

I tried external plugins first, but quickly found myself over my
head; I'm a new Mac developer and don't yet grok Bundles and such.

Seeking an easier way to get my feet wet, I decided to build
Andrew Greenberg's RePlugin as an internal plugin.  I loaded the
package from SqueakMap, added RePlugin to the list of internal plugins
in VMMaker, and followed the VM building instructions as before.

The VM successfully built, but didn't include the plugin, as verified
via 'Smalltalk listBuiltinModules'.  I figured that this was because
the XCode project file didn't include the appropriate files in the
build target.  So, I added the files to the project manually.
Specifically, I added them to the 'Squeak VM Opt' target.  The VM
built OK, but again didn't include the plugin.

I have a few questions:

Do I have to manually adjust the XCode project settings each time I
change the VMMaker configuration?  If so, how should I do this?

Do people always use XCode to build MacOS vms?  What about command
line tools?

What are the benefits of using the MacOS vs. the unix branch of
the Sourceforge code?

Is there any documentation about building external plugins on
MacOS?

Thanks,
Joshua