REMINDER: Harvesting Party Monday November 1st 16:00 GMT

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Mon Nov 1 03:22:59 UTC 2004

Marcus Denker wrote:
> The question is what to do? Suggestions welcome.

For me, Squeak already has everything I need:
-Smalltalk devt tools
-a web app platform
-connects to PostgreSQL

"Squeak" is too big. It needs to shrink, to grow.

I'd suggest 3.8/3.9 be the last 3.X release,
and we start immediately on a 4.0 based on the
Squat minimal image, with (possibly) the 64-bit VM.

If someone wants something to move forward, then
they'll port it. The "Core" Squeak developers would
provide a roadmap for things that seem to be "core",
in a perhaps hopeless attempt to control the ensuing
bedlam. After porting, stewardship of any packages
that are deemed "core" would pass to the Core team.

For non-core packages, they would need to form their
own community (maybe piggybacking on Squeak for a time).

--yanni