3.8 beta release

Michael Rueger michael at squeakland.org
Tue Nov 2 18:10:19 UTC 2004

Hi all,

with a little delay we are proud to finally announce 3.8 beta and 3.9 alpha.

Please also read the part of magic incantation you may need to do in
some images where change sets weren't registered properly.

A little warning ahead: updating will take a looong time and as part of
the process recode your changes file to UTF-8.

What we have in this release and how you can get there:

3.8beta
--------
updating through the 3.8alpha stable stream will get you all updates and
prompt you for advancing to 3.8beta.

This version includes m17n, all squeakland fixes and enhancements and
the all updates from 3.8 unstable except the UI and parse tree changes.

3.9alpha
--------
updating through the 3.8 unstable will get you automatically to 3.9
alpha. Updating through 3.8 and switching to 3.9alpha will get you there
as well.

This version includes all of 3.8 beta plus the UI and parse tree changes.
3.9alpha stable and unstable are initially the same.

What's next:
------------

we will now go through the mantis bug list and see which fixes are there
and which of the remaining (unfixed) bugs definitely need to be fixed
for 3.8 stable. If you have a pet bug and/or fix please make sure it is
registered on mantis (http://bugs.impara.de).

Kudos once again to all who contributed to this release, Yoshiki, Diego,
Bert, Andreas, Marcus, Ned, Scott, und so many others.

magic incantation:
You need to invoke this if you get "this name is already in use" while
trying to update. Somehow broken images (with not properly registered
change sets) ended up at the download site:

ChangeSorter allChangeSetNames do: [:name |
   name startsWithDigit ifTrue:
     [SystemVersion current registerUpdate: name initialIntegerOrNil]].

Michael