PDA and Squeak

aaron reichow areichow at d.umn.edu
Tue Nov 2 20:51:18 UTC 2004

I am quite crazy... I've been using one PDA or another basically as my
primary computer at home, and since Squeak is a big part of my computing
life, running Squeak was a neccesity.  The first device that has pulled
this off well IMHO is the Sharp Zaurus C760 and I've also used a Sigmarion
3 in the same way.   They both have a high res screen- the Zaurus with
a VGA (640x480) screen and the Sigmarion 3 with an even nicer 800x480
screen... Both run Squeak quite well and have other apps that make them
useful as general computers as well with 400 MHz CPUs.

A friend is considering getting either a Dell Axim X50v or a HP iPAQ
hx4700, both very new PocketPCs with VGA screens. Both have a very fast
624 MHz CPU.

But all of the devices I've mentioned are pretty spendy. You can get a
Squeak capable machine for a lot less.  Any PDA that runs Linux or a newer
version of Windows CE, including WinCE 3.0+ for ARM, WinCE.NET 4.x,
PocketPC 2000, PocketPC 2002, PocketPC/Windows Mobile 2003 and WM2k3 SE.
There are non-ARM CPUs supported by Yoshiki's VMs IIRC, but they'd all be
slower and probably flakier, with very little support happening these days
for non-ARM WinCE devices.

You can get a lowly iPAQ 36xx or 38xx series for very cheap off of eBay,
or perhaps a Dell Axim X5 Basic or Advanced, for $100-200. If you want to
spend more, there are newer devices like I mentnioned.

Squeak runs pretty well on any device with a 400 MHz PXA255 and higher.
I've not tried one of the even faster 625 MHz PXA273 (?) XScales, though I
imagine it's very nice. I am taling about morphic around versions 3.2-3.4;
if you're running MVC, you can run on a much slower machine, as low as 75
MHz, though few people run MVC squeak these days. For newer Squeaks,
3.6-3.7 with all the fixins, the faster the better.

Regards,
Aaron Reichow

UMD Library :: (218) 726-6651 :: areichow at d.umn.edu