Naive number questions

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Nov 2 22:15:44 UTC 2004

For extra credit ask those java folks to calculate some large
factorial, something in the order of a lot of digits (million?) Don't
be shy.

Then see how long things take.

PS A year or so back I looked at changing the internal math logic to
handle 32bit math directly since once you go over the SmallInteger
boundary
it backs off to a message send. What I found was that you could then
count from +/- 2 billion really fast, but some bugs lurked and in
looking at
the macro-benchmarks why none of this mattered.

On Nov 2, 2004, at 1:42 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Heh - I was going to write message saying that I'd like to see a
> measure of the actual difference in speed if we change this to:
>
>    [x := 1000 * 10000000] timeToRun.
>
> :^) Besides, one of the more interesting things to do is to not use
> "long/int" but rather the Object integer type.
>
> Cheers,
> - Andreas

===