Squeak sound in Linux??

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Wed Nov 3 01:56:17 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 1:01 pm, MegaBight wrote:
> Hi,
>     I can't seem to get any sound out of squeak on Linux using Debian
> 3.0r2.
> I'm using a 2.2.20 kernel, and although gnome sounds and cd playback
> work fine, when I try to get sound out of squeak, all I get is a bunch
> of:
>
> sound: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
> sound: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
> sound: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
>
> Gnome/Sawmill are the only other sound-enabled programs running.
> Can anyone help me fix this? I'm trying to set squeak up for my
> 12-year-old
> nephew to experiment with computer generated music.

If you run

 lsof /dev/dsp

you will see that something (probably esd) has it open. You may have to run
this as root.

You have a couple of choices:

- Tell esd to release the sound card after some period of idleness (look at
the Gnome control panel for this setting)

- Use esddsp or whatever the correct wrapper is to make the OSS sound go
through the sound daemon:

 esddsp squeak -vm-sound-oss -vm-display-X11 ...

> Please respond to me by email, since I cannot seem to get subscribed to
> the list - after several days of trying the subscription page, I still
> have no
> response from the listserv :(

You seem to be on the list, since your mail got there.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/