Squeak culture and menus

Rob Lally smalltalk at roblally.plus.com
Wed Nov 3 12:02:51 UTC 2004

Hi,

As I've been following along with the mailing list and using Squeak I've
been trying to understand Squeak culture; how do people solve problems,
why are particular solutions considered more Squeaky than others.

One of the things that stands out as being different in Squeak from
other environments is the avoidance of traditional 'drop-down
top-of-the-screen' menu bars. Why has the community avoided them? What
are the problems associated with them?  Does anyone feel the the Squeak
environment is diminished by their absence? What advantages are there to
not having them?

Thanks,

Rob.