Confused about current versions... (was Re: 3.8 beta release)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Nov 5 07:00:27 UTC 2004

Hi folks!

"Bruce O'Neel" <edoneel at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> > >I updated the 3.8alpha unstable image to 3.9alpha
> > >and it lives in ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.9alpha.
> >
> > Please mark this as as 3.9a-unstable.
>
> Yep, that was done.

Being one of the Guides I shouldn't be confused of course - but I am. :)
I have been pretty out-of-the-loop for a while but could someone with
the insight (Stephane? Marcus? Doug?) quickly explain to me what
versions we have, how they relate with the streams we have and what
unstable etc means  - I thought alpha meant unstable per definition.

A primitive little tree view would be great to have, like below:

...or something similar (the above is just a mock). I think there are
many out there that currently are as confused as I am. Or perhaps not.
:)

regards, Göran