Request for advices

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Tue Nov 9 01:35:40 UTC 2004

On Monday 08 November 2004 2:59 pm, Joseph Frippiat wrote:
> I don't ask for solution, only for guidelines and advices.  Do you think
> its "playable" ? Is it recommended to use Squeak to develop an "industrial"
> project ?

I think this is fine. Experience of people running Squeak in server
applications has generally been good (especially in web servers).

> I have little experience in smalltalk.  I have played a little with Squeak
> during the last years: it's a nice language and a nice environment but I am
> afraid of the lack of stability. For example, I saved a little project
> (written to play with morphic) and now I am not able to load it anymore in
> a fresh image.

Do you get any indication as to why this is? It may be something that we need
to address with a fix.

There are provisions in the project loading for making conversion methods; if
we've missed one somewhere we should know about it.

If you can put the project somewhere so we can look at it, it would help.

> The project is not important but in a case like this, is
> there any way to explore a "lost" project when it is not possible to reload
> it and the development image is lost ? What is the safest way to make
> development to avoid losing everything ?

For the kind of project you're discussing, it sounds like the most important
part would be the code itself (and the database). We have robust ways to save
code (and to keep track of versions), and Squeak itself always saves changed
methods (and do-it text; basically most things you send to the compiler) in
the .changes file, which is just a text file. So it's easy to get "lost"
source code back.

As far as the stability of the database, I don't know.

I do view images (and to some extent projects) as being somewhat more
disposable.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/