A better Welcome Workspace

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 9 04:28:52 UTC 2004

The Welcome Workspace is pretty unwelcoming. I've started trying to
assemble something a bit better at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3892 and made some progress. I claim
that we need to explain stuff in a reasonably orderly fashion and
reasonably completely. Thus the first paragraph is a very quick intro
to what Squeak is, followed by instructions on how to read the rest of
the workspace - ie tell them how to scroll to the next bit.

I've got as far as explaining how to use a menu and outlining some of
the rest. It turns out there is a boatload to explain. Surprise.

I think a more structured reader than a plain workspace would be an
improvement. Maybe someone feels up to making a nice bookmorph instead?
That would have the advantage of being able to show meaningful demos of
the points being discussed.

Anyone want to help?

tim
Strange OpCodes: ULC: Undo Last Command