[BUG]bug when trying to send a bug report with celeste in Squeak 3.7

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Nov 9 09:39:49 UTC 2004

Am 09.11.2004 um 10:21 schrieb Joseph Frippiat:

> OK, corrected : with the package loader I updraded Celeste to 1.24 and
> now
> it works better.  The other bug with the new database creation error
> is also
> corrected with this upgrade.
>
> Sorry, I didn't know.  But this means that it will be quite difficult
> write an industrial application with Squeak: Squeak 3.7 is not so
> stable...
>
> What is the best version to use ?

3.7 is the latest stable release. I has, of course, bugs. If it
wouldn't have bugs,
we wouldn't be working on 3.8, would we?

The major problem we have is that we do not fix bugs in the current
stable release.
It would be nice to have a model like linux: a "stable" branch, were
bugs are fixed, and
a "development" branch, were enhancements (and fixes) are added.

But I personally don't see how to manage this from a manpower
perspective: There are
no people willing (or able) to put work into boring stuff like that.

> After submitting my bug, I received an e-mail about Mantis telling me
> that
> before submitting a bug for Squeak 3.7 I must check if it is not
> already
> corrected in 3.8alpha.  Does it mean that I will be forced to "run"
> after
> the Squeak latest release when developing my application ?

Feel free to submit bugs related to 3.8. But keep in mind that we all
do this in
or free time. So it is for your own good to not wast this sparetime of
others by submitting
bugs that are already fixed in the current development release.

>  Is it possible
> to apply to squeak 3.7 a bug fix for Squeak 3.8a ?

Some, not all. The idea of development is that code changes. So if
someone
fixes a bug in 3.8 were the code is different to 3.7, then, of course,
you can't just
apply the fix to 3.7

          Marcus