Running Squeak as NT Service does not work in newer Win32 VM's

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Fri Nov 12 08:48:03 UTC 2004

Hi,

I did a small seaside application I want to run as a squeak
service on my computer. Using Squeak's ability to run as
an NT service was no problem in old VM versions.

For instance I'm running SwikiSwiki as a service without
a problem since years (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/swiki)

When using the newest windows VM Squeak has a problem to find
the image when running as service. I'm registering the service
like this:

  squeak.exe -service: "TestApp" "c:\TestApp\testapp.image"

When changing the service properties in the control panel
for the service to be able to interact with the desktop
I get the following error: Could not open the Squeak image file 'x[][]'.

Where the image file name looks like a mistyped unicode string.

I have noticed this behavior on a Win XP and a Win2k box.
This bug was already described by Vladimir Janousek in May 2003 in:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-May/058064.html
but is still not solved.

I've found another bug description from Pavel Krivánek from March
2004
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-March/075864.html
He suggested to specify the image file name in the *.ini file, I tried
this but without success.

Everything seems to be set up ok:

1. The registry includes the following key:
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\TestApp\
   with a subkey "Startup" including an Item "Image" pointing
   to "c:\TestApp\testapp.image".
2. The squeak.ini file includes an ImageName="testapp.image"
   entry in the global section
3. the squeak.ini as well as the image reside in the same directory
   as the VM

I also tried different combinations (relative/absolute paths, ...)
but always without success.

The interesting thing is that when I use the old VM from SwikiSwiki
it is working without a problem. But using an old VM may have other
side effects and we should definitely track down the bug.

Any ideas for a workaround or how we can fix the current WinVM to find
the image when running as a service?

Thanks
Torsten

GMX DSL-Netzanschluss + Tarif zum supergünstigen Komplett-Preis!