Newbie question

Bob.Cowdery at CGI-Europe.com Bob.Cowdery at CGI-Europe.com
Fri Nov 12 10:13:52 UTC 2004

Hi all

I am doing some experimental work with software radio and have moved from
static languages through Python and now want to see just how far I can get
in Smalltalk. My preliminary analysis of Squeak indicates it should be
capable on a fast enough machine and after playing around a bit I like the
Squeak environment. I have two fundamental requirements, to do Port I/O and
full duplex stereo sound. For Port I/O I found IOST which will probably do
the job although untried as yet. Now to the actual question -)

I have been using PortAudio for sound in other environments, which I like a
lot, but there seems to be no Squeak interface available. I might try to do
one but that's for later... For now I have been playing with
'SoundInputStream' for capture and 'QueueSound' for playback. I need to do
this in a real-time stream, so read a block, signal process the block and
output the block. As I don't know smalltalk at all I am just playing in a
workspace. I can stream in some data but can't seem to add that data to the
output queue. I can add a SampledSound to the queue as in the example but
the captured data seems to be the wrong type or something! Obviously I need
this to work full duplex so will have to use a thread or maybe events to
drive the process. Any code snippets would help a lot at this stage until I
find my feet.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Bob Cowdery
CGI Senior Technical Architect
+44(0)1438 791517
Mobile: +44(0)7771 532138
bob.cowdery at cgi-europe.com <mailto:bob.cowdery at cgi-europe.com>

*** Confidentiality Notice *** Proprietary/Confidential
Information belonging to CGI Group Inc. and its affiliates
may be contained in this message. If you are not a recipient
indicated or intended in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), or you think for
any reason that this message may have been addressed to you
in error, you may not use or copy or deliver this message
to anyone else.  In such case, you should destroy this
message and are asked to notify the sender by reply email.