Cost of Squeak

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Nov 13 16:58:57 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 05:09:28PM +0100, Bernhard Pieber wrote:
> Serge Stinckwich <Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr> wrote:
> > $848875 this is the estimated development cost of Squeak by the
> > koders.com web site.
> >
> > Look here :
> > http://www.koders.com/info.aspx?c=ProjectInfo&pid=oGEMd7W7aWK5nG7*RhNf3Q__
> That would only be the VMs, right? I didn't know that C# was used for VM
> development. :-)
>
> But seriously, you can change the parameters you can get every result
> you want. Looks to me like a perfect application of the GIGO principle.
> ;-)

If you were a professional IT manager, and I gave you a budget of $848,875
to produce the Squeak VMs, I'll bet that whatever you came back with would
not be Squeak. Some nice Powerpoints and KLOCs, but not Squeak.

If you gave $848,875 to the Squeak VM developers and told them *not* to
develop Squeak, you would probably get something great.

Dave