[ANN] wxSqueak update

SmallSqueak smallsqueak at rogers.com
Tue Nov 16 03:18:53 UTC 2004

Hi Rob,

> I'm a relative newcomer to Squeak (I started with 3.2),

    Then I must say you are an awesome newcomer.

> so I can't say how much would be required to make wxSqueak
> work with 2.2. A few VM changes are necessary
> (about 5 lines in Win32, but more for OS X).

    I noticed this in the readme.

> If you leave out the WxWidgets-Tools category, there should be no
> interaction with anything Morphic.

    Phew, what a relief. I thought wxSqueak might depennd not only
    on Morphic but also the bandwidth of the internet connection
    (that is important for builtin collabration ?;-)

> Event handling for wx objects is done is separate processes,
> so there isn't any dependency on the normal Squeak event loop.
> The main issue with earlier versions of Squeak would probably
> be with the plugin generation. Can 2.2 use plugin source generated
> by later versions? If not, it might be a bit tricky to recreate the
> source,
> since I'm subclassing SmartSyntaxPluginCodeGenerator, which is of
> more recent vintage.

    I am thinking of using 3.6/3.7 VM with a 2.2 tiny image.

    Please keep up with the good work.

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.
.