OldSocket backward compatibility considered harmful

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Nov 17 08:55:54 UTC 2004

Am 16.11.2004 um 20:07 schrieb goran.krampe at bluefish.se:

> Hi Michael and all!
>
> Michael Rueger <michael at squeakland.org> wrote:
>> Michael Rueger wrote:
>>
>>> Unless somebody provides a really compelling argument why he needs
>>> these
>>> methods they should be removed not just deprecated.
>>
>> Apologies in so far as this update actually just came into the
>> stream, I
>> got confused with what the current update number was ;-)
>>
>> But to reiterate, applications using the old methods (like HTTPSocket)
>> should be ported forward and not Socket be made backward compatible a
>> year after the rewrite.
>
> I actually have no idea how these came in, it seems like a harvester
> should have reacted. Anyway, I say BE GONE WITH THEM! :)

Yes, I am the one to blame. That's the problem with this harvesting:
You can easily
make a complete fool of yourself...

Just send a chageset to remove them again. (or add it direktly to the
update stream)

But generally: We have tried (for months) to find knowledgabe people
who would be
responsible for certain parts of the image (e.g. networking, eToys,
Morphic) who look at the
changes that are submitted.

Nobody has stepped forward to do that...

        Marcus