[ANN] wxSqueak update

SmallSqueak smallsqueak at rogers.com
Thu Nov 18 19:25:48 UTC 2004

Rob,

    You wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> Thanks for the comments. When I started this crazy thing, I didn't
> know if it would work at all as a plugin. I tried running the Squeak
> interpreter as a separate thread within a wx app, and a bunch of other
> combinations. But as I learned more about both the VM and wxWidgets,
> I found that most of my hacks were not needed.
>
> I'm sure you're right about the startup/shutdown patches being
> unnecessary. The event handling is a tougher question. Currently I
> need to have the VM ignore events destined for wx windows, because
> if it doesn't, it conflicts with wx modal event processing. But if
> I can replace the default wx modal loop, it might be possible to have
> the VM dispatch all events. That would be great, since it would be
> much more efficient than the separate polling process that is in
> place now.
>
> I'd love to get your take on the callback business. It's a real
> mind-bender, so beer would definitely help.

    I started wxSqueak, opened wxBrowser, throwed all morphic
    thingies into the trash can, hide all share flaps, destroyed the
    trash can, minimize Squeak window.

    Then, in the opened wxBrowser, one by one, Morphic categories
    (along with its classes were deleted) when it came to Morphic-
    Events or Morphic-Kernel wxSqueak crashed.

    Is there anyway to avoid this ?

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.