Does anybody thought about having ...

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Thu Nov 18 21:50:58 UTC 2004

Am 18.11.2004 um 22:08 schrieb stéphane ducasse:

> variable length argument methods
> and default argument values
>
> because this would be really cool to have that in Squeak.
> Ok of course this change the language but we could get rid of a lot of
> with:with:with: methods.

Yes, we have been thinking about this. We had a script-level
implementation in JIVE (methods with optional arguments) and would like
to reintroduce them with Etoys2.

> I also thought recently that something really missing in Smalltalk is
> dictionary like classes
> 	because we have named fixed attributes, variables unamed attributes
> 	but often I would like to have variables (dictionary-based)
> attributes.

Sounds a lot like "fields" in Tweak's object model. These can be used
like named instance variables but are actually held in a dictionary.

- Bert -