OldSocket backward compatibility considered harmful

Kamil Kukura kamk at volny.cz
Fri Nov 19 02:30:42 UTC 2004

Michael Rueger napsal(a):
> It would be helpful to port the class side methods of OldSocket to
> Socket. By port I mean change them so they work with the existing
> Socket, not OldSocket protocol.

I started some weeks ago on Socket clean-up, but meanwhile I need to
work on other things to stay alive. Look at
http://people.virtua.cz/kamk/squeak/, maybe it will be useful. I wanted
to continue on refactoring but I feel I'd better learn to work with
Monticello, SqueakMap, SAR and other things. This squeaky thing has
learning curve not steep but sheer upright.

>> By the way the sendObject and getObject belongs to Diego Gomez Deck
>> from his
>> rST, and I use in network games.
>
> Those shouldn't be in Socket, maybe in SocketStream, or IMHO part of
> your application's communication code. Serializing objects in a generic
> way should be used with caution.

I agree. I included them into Socket with belief it will be refactored
into the stream concept. Same with HTTPSocket which I feel should be
derived from TelnetProtocolClient (one that is _not_ for telnet by the
way). And for sake of naming coherency it should be called HTTPClient.
But someone already introduced HTTPClient which belongs to kind of
Framework-Download part? I don't know.

It all together makes me like saying "oh shit". There's still work
underneath in VM needed for better socket support and we have this mess
in the image. We have proverb "left hand doesn't know what right hand
does". It is exactly as Ned Konz pointed out and as it is mentioned on
The future of Squeak <http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2915>:

    "It appears, rather, that various groups are now pushing Squeak in
     different directions."

Not hard to figure out what are consequences. Maybe I should write this
to some other mailing list, but... Just read
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/608:

    "The main Squeak Mailing List is squeak-dev, a lively and busy forum
     for discussion on all things related to Squeak!"

Now close your eyes and imagine "all those things".... Anybody still
reading? Or this message lost? :)

--
Kamil