POP3Client behind a firewall

German Arduino gsa at softhome.net
Fri Nov 19 16:53:10 UTC 2004

Giovanni Giorgi wrote:

> German Arduino ha scritto  in data 19/11/2004 12.15:
>
>> Marcus Denker wrote:
>> [...
>> Thanks Marcus, unfortunately I've wroted "firewall" instead "proxy" in
>> the subject :(
>> My concern is that a user can use an application that I'm developing
>> being directly connected to Internet or being behind a proxy (as
>> Squid, for example) in a company-like  network.
>

> Hmm...as far as I know proxying http is ok, but proxing pop3 and smtp is
> not used a lot.
> I do not know if pop3 protocol support "proxying"....
> If someone can give me some RFC I can look it we can implement it...

Mmm, thinking better, may be that isn't a question of "proxying" pop3.

I mean, in a corporate network, each pc of the net goes to internet by
a proxy server (as Squid or ISA Server). These are mainly http proxies,
but in the same PCs (that only goes to Internet using this proxy) others
pop mail clients works ok (Outlook Express, Mozilla Thunderbird).

Celeste don't works, giving the same error that I get with POP3Client,
but I'm almost sure that in the past, sometime in some Squeak version
I get Celeste working behind the proxy.

gsa.