SqueakMap dead?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Nov 24 21:24:30 UTC 2004

Thanks Ken, we are back on line now.

Some recent updates to SM seem to be missing, and I'm guessing that they
were probably in that image segment that was trying to save itself. I
don't know how the server side stuff works, but most likely if there
is a save every N hours or days, that would tell us how much stuff
might be missing. Can you tell from the time stamp of the previous
image segment what that gap might be? We could then follow up with a
message to the effect that "If you added or changed anything on SM
in the last N days, please re-enter your work."

For what it's worth, I entered a new release of TimeZoneDatabase
on SM right before it went down. So it is quite likely that I am
the person who triggered the problem. In case it helps with debugging,
here is what I did:

- logged in to my SM account (with Mozilla)
- went to my Squeak Map home page
- selected "edit releases" for TimeZoneDatabase
- changed a bunch of fields in the form to make a release 1.2.3
- clicked the "Save as new release" button

SM accepted the entry. Everything seemed to be fine at that time, but
shortly afterwards I (maybe 15 minutes or so, I'm not sure) I tried
updating SM from a Squeak image so I could verify that the new release
was working. At that point, the SM server had gone belly up.

Thanks again,
Dave