neo (was: About removing global variables)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Nov 25 17:32:16 UTC 2004

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= wrote on Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:40:24
+0100
> Is NeoSmalltalk running on mac os X? Because I want to have a look.

No, since I am implementing it from the transistor level up it only runs
on special hardware. But the software will use an MIT-style license
(like Slate and OpenCroquet) so if anyone is really interested they will
be able to port it to Macs or PCs. Since these already have Squeak, I am
not sure it would be worth the effort.

The hardware I am currently use has a very weak VGA output, but I should
have a new one with TV output soon. That will make it easy for me to
make a movie showing what is cool about Neo Smalltalk (which is still
being implemented).

http://www.merlintec.com:8080/Software/ is extremely outdated, but I
currently don't have any other description of the software.

http://www.merlintec.com/download/plurion.pdf has low level details,
such as the bytecodes used and hardware blocks. There is still a lot
missing, specially the more interesting parts about the object model in
Neo.

On a slightly related subject: the other day Colin was asking me about
my future hardware design (non Von Neumann) so I added a brief
introduction to http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/19

-- Jecel