Which graphics package to use?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sun Nov 28 01:40:33 UTC 2004

On Nov 26, 2004, at 12:48 PM, Ryan Zerby wrote:

> I'm writing my first real squeak program, Mancala (My favorite game to
> program for some reason :)   I'm thinking that I want to use Morphic
> for my first version of the interface (yes? no?)

For your first real Squeak program, I'd say yes, use Morphic.

MVC is another option, but it's not as actively maintained, and I think
Morphic is actually easier to use for programming something like a
simple game.  (For example, you probably don't need to worry about
model-view separation with a simple game, and the Morphic halos are
extremely useful when trying to debug the graphic elements in your
game.)

Croquet is an option in theory, but it's extremely alpha and
experimental and not at all geared toward beginner programmers.

- Doug