Connecting to Oracle (was: ODBC connection)

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 21:49:07 UTC 2004

Hi Avi,

We do a lot of ODBC FFI work in Squeak with great success, but I must
confess that we have very limited concurrency requirements (e.g. 5
simulatenous users).  In your opinion, where does the ODBC FFI plugin
begin to *not* work well as we have not experienced any issues from
the blocking behavior of FFI?

Also, what do you think it would take to implement a native ODBC
interface.  Would native interfaces require implementing native
drivers for each vendor's database that one was targeting?  I think I
know the answer to this question, but just checking.

For the record, we use Microsoft SQL Server and the ODBC FFI interface
with essentially no foul side effects of the blocking problem of using
FFI -- so I am a bit baffeled by folks hestitancy in using the ODBC
FFI library.

Regards,

John

--
If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it. --
Albert Einstein