Connecting to Oracle (was: ODBC connection)

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 22:17:19 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:01:52 -0500, Welch, Ronald P (US SSA)
<ronald.p.welch at baesystems.com> wrote:
> Actually, if I were to attempt "going native" with an Oracle
> driver I am not sure I would build it on top of OCI. I would
> probably attempt to with a pure "thin" driver ala the JDBC
> thin drivers using sockets directly in Squeak and eliminating
> FFI all together.

Yeah, that would be great, but where are the protocol docs?  I don't
know of any third-party implementations of such "thin" drivers (and
only one, for Java, provided by Oracle), so I assume it's not an easy
task - compare with Postgres, which must have dozens of client
implementations (there are at least 3 for Smalltalk alone).

Avi