FIX: Making Set/Dictionary etc. loops more robust

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Tue Nov 30 19:35:00 UTC 2004

<jscholar at access4less.net> wrote:

> You know, it occures to me to wonder why common looping constructs near
the
> bottom of hierachies haven't been turned into primitives.  Faster looping
> constructs (a SmallInteger to: do:, Float to: by: do:, Interval to: by:
do:,
> Array do:, ByteArray do: etc.) would significantly speed up some code.

Note that  Number>>to:do:  and Number>>to:by:do:  are inlined
by the Compiler.  BlockContext>>whileTrue, BlockContext>>whileTrue:
BlockContext>>whileFalse  and  BlockContext>>whileFalse:  are
also inlined. All these are used to define the collection iterators.

Inlining gives us a significant speedup, so the situation is not that bad.

Greetings, Boris