About removing global variables

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Nov 30 20:28:50 UTC 2004

> My own guess is that the last discussion we had on Namespaces was so long,
> impassioned, exhausting, and ultimately inconclusive that no one wants to
> get drawn into another one, particularly since there's nothing new to talk
> about.

The issue wasn't even remotely addressed by the namespace proposal. To sum
up that part of the discussion it seems that two lines of code could "fix"
the issue:

    Object classPool: Smalltalk.
    Smalltalk := nil.

Duh. No namespaces, no globals, no nothing. Now what? Have we significantly
improved the situation? I don't think so. "Removing globals" without
addressing what class variables and pools mean is a pretty useless exercise.
And the namespace discussion is orthogonal to it.

Cheers,
  - Andreas