When can we have SqueakMpa package version aware...

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Nov 30 19:29:15 UTC 2004

Hi!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Hi goran
>
> 	We would like to be able to manage the code of some packages
> 	with squeakMap but without having to create one package for each
> version
> 	(look at RB for example). Have you plans to have that?

You mean one for each *Squeak* version? Well, I am not familiar with RB
in this case - is it different for 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9? I mean, how does
the RB "version tree" look?

You know - the current SMPackage has an OrderedCollection of
SMPackageReleases and each release knows its ancestor simply by their
place in the collection. I intend to add a previousRelease instvar so
that they can form a tree with branches.

Even though, I think you can have one RB package today too. Though
crude, the SMLoader will try to find the newest published release for
your Squeak version.

So... the short answer is: It should work today, if you ignore the fact
that the "previous release" relation will be wrong - but that hardly
matters until my dependency model is in place.

The next release will have the instvar previousRelease, and then it will
definitely work.

> Stef

regards, Göran