vm: problem with unix build process

Martin Kuball MartinKuball at web.de
Fri Oct 1 16:21:00 UTC 2004

Hi!

autoconf is really nasty stuff. But I finally got it to work. The
trick is to replace the ltmain.sh from cvs with the version from the
local libtool installation. This is compatible with the libtool stuff
that get's included into the configure script when autoconf is run.
This can be automated by adding a line
	libtoolize --force --copy
into the Makefile.

After that I had another problem. Building the squeak program failed
with link errors. The reason seems to be that the following line in
Makefile.in:
        $(LINK) $(squeak) $(SQLIBS) version.o $(LIBS) [plibs] vm/vm.a
has the vm.a twice. First in SQLIBS and additionally at the end. Well,
the new libtool removes the first occurance from the input to gcc.
Having vm/vm.a as last archive does not seem to work. If you remove
the vm.a in Makefile.in, libtool will keep the one in SQLIB and
everything is fine.

By the way, the ltconfig script in unix/config does not seem to be
used. Maybe it should be removed.

Martin