3.6 full packages?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Sun Oct 3 20:52:28 UTC 2004

Hi!

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> >> The Package Loader can at least show the installed versions:
> >>
> >> Balloon3D (1.0.3)
> >> Benchmarks (2)
> >> Celeste (1.07)
> >> PackageInfo (1.30)
> >> SARInstaller for 3.6 (19)
> >> SM Package Loader (1.02)
> >> SUnit (3.1)
> >> Scamper (1.02)
> >> SqueakMap Base (1.07)
> >> Upgrade to 3.6 Full Image (1.2)
> >> VMMaker (3.6g2)
> >>
> >> - Bert -
> >
> > Yes, and that should be correct - or am I missing something?
>
> Only that knowing the versions don't help much unless you have the packages
> itself. I have been able to find all but the VMMaker package (this doesn't
> seem to exist any longer)

Ehum, well - the releases (the URLs of them) are available in SM - and
with the upcoming SM which includes a server cache - the files would be
available too... unless of course the maintainer has decided to DELETE
the release.

Now... you may recall a discussion we had in Stockholm over a beer
regarding immutability etc? ;)
Anyway - I hope people DO NOT DELETE old releases (nor the files those
URLs point to), because it gives us headaches, but as you are aware of
there is no mechanism in SM that prevents the account holder from doing
it. I could add more warnings of course... :)

> though there were some very strange oddities: If
> you take a 3.6 and open the package loader it tries to update SqueakMap (and
> miserably fails if you say yes)

It does? (checking...) Hmmm, just tried a 3.6-basic 5424 - worked for
me.

> but if you don't it gives you a series of
> releases which don't even show if you go to SM in the browser. Very, very
> odd.

Not odd to me :) - if you say no... it can't update the map. So you are
looking at an old map. Perhaps it should warn though.

> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

regards, Göran