m17n Digest, Vol 13, Issue 1

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Thu Oct 7 21:07:44 UTC 2004

Am 07.10.2004 um 20:54 schrieb Jan B. Krejčí:

> I've watched some threads concerning UTF-8 issues in this list and I
> would like to ask for some kindly help with installing any free (and
> nice) UTF-8 font to Squeak

I assume by "UTF-8 font" you mean a unicode font (utf is just a
transfer encoding). All fonts will use unicode encoding in 3.8, as you
can see in the Squeakland image or if you update from the unstable
stream. We have both the Accu fonts and Bitstream Vera fonts in there.
And, source code files use UTF-8 now, indeed.

> and for an advice how to compile the VM
> with the tweaks respecting UTF-8 (as seen the thread Umlaute in
> Squeak).

No VM tweaks are necessary to use the new fonts. The garbled umlauts
when copying from/to the system clipboard have been an image issue, the
fix is here: http://squeakalpha.org/updates/0329IntClipboard-bf.cs

For now, all VMs still use macintosh encoding. The discussion is still
going on at the VM developers list of what VM support is needed to
determine and use the system's native encoding instead.

> Can I find any documentation mentioning these issues somewhere?

Don't know. Maybe on the Swiki.

- Bert -