Proposal for Squeak 3.8 release schedule

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Oct 7 21:47:12 UTC 2004

Hi Diego,

>> > I would like to know which changes in unstable update stream will be
>> > considered stable/unstable.
>>
>> The rule of thumb is to include fixes but not extensions.
>
> In this case I very much *disagree* with your proposal.

But why? Our main reason for wanting this release is so that we have one
which is largely in sync between Squeakland and Squeak.org. From the last
year we know how important such a sync-ed up release can be and all we're
trying to do is to make sure there is some Squeak.org version that matches
the Squeakland version. In return, we are offering to work on a full release
cycle. Clearly, this requires us to accept changes from the Squeak.org
release into Squeakland but equally clearly there are limits to the amount
of changes that we're willing to make in a production release.

> Let me state my point of view:
>
> The community decided about an ultra-stable 3.8 release over ends of
> July:
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-July/080375.html
>
> Since then the plan about 3.8-ultra-stable was paused until yesterday
> you told us your proposal.

Has it been that long already? I apologize. With two upcoming releases, with
preparing various new projects and spending too much time on airports time
really flies by.

> Meanwhile the community moved in another directing in absence of answers
> from you.  Talking for myself I changed my plans about Small-Land's
> release delaying it for weeks and I invested time and effort merging my
> changes in unstable stream to join 3.8.

Do I understand you correctly that you would like to see the 3.8 release to
be in sync with the Small-Land release? If so, would it matter if the
Small-Land release were sync-ed with the 3.9 release instead?

> Note that more than 2 months had elapsed since the original idea of
> ultraConservative-shortRelease for 3.8. That means we spent more time
> waiting that the time we decided to invest on 3.8UltraStable (As it was
> 2 months).
>

> BTW, Did you notice all the changes in 3.8 unstable are very stable and
> all are configurable using preferences?.

That may well be (I have to admit that I haven't tested the latest changes
too much) but I would argue against any larger scale changes even if they
could be proven to be entirely harmless. The Squeakland release is out there
already which -to me- means we only want to do minimal changes.

Cheers,
  - Andreas