Communicating with other languages (or embedding squeak)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Oct 8 21:43:42 UTC 2004

On Oct 8, 2004, at 4:23 PM, Daniel B. Faken wrote:

>   So my real question is: has anyone worked on creating communication
> between squeak and some other small-footprint, interpreted, ffi-capable
> language?  Or, are there any such languages that are very similar to
> Squeak/smalltalk?

You might be interested in Ruby: http://www.rubycentral.com/ .
Its object model is nearly identical to Smalltalk's, and its standard
libraries are somewhat similar, but it's much more geared (both in
syntax and implementation) towards traditional unix scripting tasks.
It has a large and growing community.  I've never embedded it myself,
but I know its FFI is very straightforward, and people do embed it
without too much trouble.

Once you get over missing the environment and keyword syntax, it's
pretty comfortable (even pleasant) for a Smalltalker to use.

Avi