Process speed and algorithm cost measures [was: Re: About slugginess of 3.8 unstable]

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Oct 8 22:53:11 UTC 2004

I'm not sure I understand your question. The change created three
instance variables, one being the time a switch started,
another the time it ended, the last the total incremental milliseconds.
At process switch time I'd read the millisecond clock
and do a subtraction, a validity check, then add to the total.

On Oct 8, 2004, at 1:03 PM, Stephan Rudlof wrote:

> John and others,
>
> John M McIntosh wrote:
>> A long time ago I did a change set that added dispatch clock time to
>> an
>> instance variable in
>> Process when the VM process scheduler switched processes.
>
> John: Do you remember how much the overhead regarding VM speed has
> been?

===